FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – June 6, 2023
City of Ogdensburg – At this time the Office of Assessment is no longer accepting appointments to meet with the Assessor prior to Grievance Day, Tuesday, June 13, 2023. However, you are still able to contest your assessment with the Board of Assessment and Review (BAR).
Instructions for the Board of Assessment and Review:
- The BAR will take appointments and walk-ins between the hours of 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM; 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM; and 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM. All property owners must bring with them the completed RP-524 form and any walk-ins must be registered on or before 8:00 PM on June 13th.
- RP-524 forms are available at City Hall and online: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_forms/orpts/rp524_fill_in.pdf
- Property owners will have 5 minutes to verbally present their request and submit their completed RP-524 to the BAR.
- If you do not wish to speak to the BAR, or you are unable to attend in person on June 13th, you have the opportunity of submitting a completed RP-524 in advance to city staff at City Hall, 330 Ford Street, Suite 6.
- The Board of Assessment and Review will not make a determination on Grievance Day. The findings of the BAR will be reflected in the publication of the city’s final assessment roll on or around August 1, 2023.
- If property owners disagree with the findings of the BAR, they will have the option of contesting their assessment through the judicial review process. In order to pursue judicial review, you must first go through administrative review with the BAR.
- Judicial Review includes two options:
a) Small Claims Assessment Review (SCAR) - a low-cost option available to most homeowners – information is available from the website of the Unified Court System - www.nycourts.gov/litigants/scar/generalinfo.shtml
b) Tax certiorari proceedings in State Supreme Court - to pursue this option, you should consider contacting an attorney.